Monday 27 April 2009

Beech leaves

These can be used as salad leaves when very young and tender, though I think they're rather bitter to eat on their own. I'd use them to bulk up a rocket salad, or liven up otherwise dull greens.

I've picked a load to make into noyau - an old French liqueur recipe from Roger Phillips' book Wild Food:

Beech Leaf Noyau

Ingredients:

Young beech leaves
1 bottle gin
225g white sugar
1 glass brandy

Method:

Collect young beech leaves and strip them off their twigs. Half-fill a 2-litre preserving jar with the leaves and pour on the gin. Seal the container and steep the leaves for 3 weeks, before straining them off. Boil the sugar in 300ml of water and add this to the gin with a large glass of brandy. Bottle.

I haven't tried this before, but have been itching to give it a go from the moment I first heard about it. Although I do hope it tastes better than it sounds, else I've wasted a bottle of gin. (Which would be criminal.)

3 comments:

  1. I've just bottled the noyau and it's delicious. A bit like the French 'Suze'. I'll try it in the same way, over ice as an aperitif.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A note in the recipe above - cut the sugar content a bit. You can always add more later

    ReplyDelete